Sunday, May 22, 2005

Ion Channels and the Electrical Properties of Membranes

Sunday, May 22, 2005
1:23:28 PM

Hey Hayley,
Yea too busy to write still I know, reply isn’t that hard... lol... But anyway. I visited Dr. Tan Friday... THANK YOU so very much. He was really great to speak with and gave me a ton of homework. He invited Jared Ehrhart in to talk to me more about the back ground that I needed, and explain more of their work.

Dr. Tan asked me how I found him, and I said I had read some of his articles. I never said that you told me to read his articles, I didn’t want to put you in the middle there without you knowing. I’m not sure if they thought I was crazy or not, but wow did they give me some information that I really needed.

I’m writing them a thank you note too, that I’ll copy to you... thanks!!!
Feel free to write or tell me more anytime you are inspired...
And we can always meet for coffee or sushi or anything whenever you have time....

Namaste’
Eric

PS. I have applied to a graduate research assistant position too, and will meet Dr. Klasko next week, so my free time might disappear soon too. And we’ve not watched Indigo or What the Bleep yet, any DVD & TV will do.... lol....



Read this and
http://www.global-understanding.org/index.php?contact

Hi,
A close friend helped build a Waldorf School in the El Bolson, Argentina; which is flooded every year.

I am currently an MBA student at USF and have been trying to find a way to model the rivers down south to fix the problem. Do you have any programs in South America? Maybe I can do some River Models to solve problems in areas you are working, and help develop something in South America?

Please contact me with any information, and feel free to forward this to anyone who might know.
Thanks
Eric
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/engineer/resume/resume.htm


Hi Michel,
Honestly beyond the Movie “What the Bleep," the only other article was about the University of Wisconsin working with Tibetan monks... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43006-2005Jan2.html?sub=new

Yes I've started snooping around a bit too... with method to my madness... lol... Get a Blog with Google they have a Blog button on their toolbar. Yes get their toolbar and turn on the Blog button. When I find an article I like, I select the text I want, click the Blog Button and it automatically copies it all into a Blog posting with the website address and everything all done. Course I then add my 2 cents at the beginning... But it's a very useful tool for your research... If you create one, send me a link to it... and PLEASE if your bother reading any of mine add ALL YOUR Spontaneous comments that come to mind ... I’m sure your insights will be like diamonds in this rough... http://stars2man.blogspot.com/ ....

And remember to copy me the results of your survey including the expert opinions...


Dr. Tan;
Thank you very much for taking the time to chat with me on Friday afternoon. It was invaluable for my meeting with Dr. Klasko this week.

Also thank you very much for introducing me to Dr. Ehrhart. He gave me a lot of homework. This is exactly what I needed at this time. Like I said I’ve been experiencing this and working with it for years. Bringing it into the science will not be easy and I know I can do it when I get such wonderful assistance.

Thanks again
Sincerely
Eric R. Weaver
http://www.starsusa.org/EricRWeaver.htm

PS please feel free to comment and correct this as you are inclined: http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/stars2man/dna_consiousness_theory.cfm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
The axons of many vertebrate neurons are insulated by a myelin sheath, which greatly increases the rate at which an axon can conduct an action potential. The importance of myelination is dramatically demonstrated by the demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis, in which myelin sheaths in some regions of the central nervous system are destroyed; where this happens, the propagation of nerve impulses is greatly slowed, often with devastating neurological consequences.


5:57:32 PM
Wow letter after letter after letter, too much too quick... emails and more and more and more. Wow what a day... still not done with what I needed to do... whatever that is? I know I need to get ready to visit a few people next week, and that is more than I can understand sometimes...


WOW, looks like I found my test case... MS often starts with kids 8-13 years old... Emily and Chris started at about this age... PERFECT!!! lol... wow, so cool, thanks Jared!!

Ion Channels and the Electrical Properties of Membranes: "Myelination Increases the Speed and Efficiency of Action Potential Propagation in Nerve Cells

The axons of many vertebrate neurons are insulated by a myelin sheath, which greatly increases the rate at which an axon can conduct an action potential. The importance of myelination is dramatically demonstrated by the demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis, in which myelin sheaths in some regions of the central nervous system are destroyed; where this happens, the propagation of nerve impulses is greatly slowed, often with devastating neurological consequences.
Myelin is formed by specialized supporting cells called glial cells. Schwann cells myelinate axons in peripheral nerves and oligodendrocytes do so in the central nervous system. These glial cells wrap layer upon layer of their own plasma membrane in a tight spiral around the axon (Figure 11-30), thereby insulating the axonal membrane so that little current can leak across it. The myelin sheath is interrupted at regularly spaced nodes of Ranvier, where almost all the Na+ channels in the axon are concentrated. Because the ensheathed portions of the axonal membrane have excellent cable properties (in other words, they behave electrically much like well-designed underwater telegraph cables), a depolarization of the membrane at one node almost immediately spreads passively to the next node. Thus, an action potential propagates along a myelinated axon by jumping from node to node, a process called saltatory conduction. This type of conduction has two main advantages: action potentials travel faster, and metabolic energy is conserved because the active excitation is confined to the small regio"

No comments:

Post a Comment