Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Diffusion of Innovations by Everett M. Rogers

Diffusion of Innovations by Everett M. Rogers :: SSRN

Getting an innovation adopted is difficult; a common problem is increasing the rate of its diffusion. Diffusion is the communication of an innovation through certain channels over time among members of a social system. It is a communication whose messages are concerned with new ideas; it is a process where participants create and share information to achieve a mutual understanding. Initial chapters of the book discuss the history of diffusion research, some major criticisms of diffusion research, and the meta-research procedures used in the book. This text is the third edition of this well-respected work. The first edition was published in 1962, and the fifth edition in 2003. The book's theoretical framework relies on the concepts of information and uncertainty. Uncertainty is the degree to which alternatives are perceived with respect to an event and the relative probabilities of these alternatives; uncertainty implies a lack of predictability and motivates an individual to seek information. A technological innovation embodies information, thus reducing uncertainty

Thank You Jesus Christ for Creating The Way of Your Word!
What happened  . . .
It was really totally weird. . . I just wrote to my son:
I’m so glad I told you to PRAY, My life is just TOO WEIRD=GOD, like now I’m trying to revise an article to graduate (yes ONE article left for my degree) and I’m reading over my sources, so someone mentioned the Rogers’ (2003) idea that it is the adopter’s perception of the innovation, well who is Rogers talking about Innovations?  So I check the references in the article “Rogers, E.M., 2003. The Diffusion of Innovations. Free Press, New York.” and wow its in the free press, so it's a free book about Innovations, I’m sure I have it already.  And I do: C:\Users\Documents\Research Folder\New Research\FNL RVW\PHY\1962 BOOK,Rogers,Diffusion of innovations.pdf  So I search through it for “adopter’ perception” thinking it might be something important that I need to read over now.  Course nothing found.  So I wonder maybe I didn’t convert the complete PDF, often I’ll Character Read the first page to cut and paste the title out. . . so I clicked the scroll bar to highlight some text and see if I can read it. . . Sure only page 3, usually my Character Read is like 10 pages to get the copyright pages where the titles don't have any crazy fonts.  So I click the scroll bar again and just selected/highlighted some random text, course the first word is in Italics in the book: adoption is a decision to make full use of an innovation as the best course of action available”
I Love You Dearest Loving Lord Jesus Christ.  Thank you so Much for sharing this moment with me.  Please continue to Fill me with Your Strength, Love and Wisdom so I may continue to Grow and Achieve in Your Glory! Amen.

Thus, diffusion of innovations is a social process that communicates perceived information about a new idea; it produces an alteration in the structure and function of a social system, producing social consequences. Diffusion has four elements: 

  1. an innovation that is perceived as new,  
  2. communication channels,  
  3. time, and  
  4. a social system (members jointly solving to accomplish a common goal).
Diffusion systems can be centralized or decentralized. The innovation-development process has five steps passing from recognition of a need, through R&D, commercialization, diffusions and adoption, to consequences. Time enters the diffusion process in three ways: 

  1. innovation-decision process,
  2. innovativeness, and  
  3. rate of the innovation's adoption. 
The innovation-decision process is an information-seeking and information-processing activity that motivates an individual to reduce uncertainty about the (dis)advantages of the innovation. There are five steps in the process: 
  1. knowledge for an adoption/rejection/implementation decision; 
  2. persuasion to form an attitude, 
  3. decision,
  4. implementation, and 
  5. confirmation (reinforcement or rejection).
Innovations can also be re-invented (changed or modified) by the user. The innovation-decision period is the time required to pass through the innovation-decision process. Rates of adoption of an innovation depend on (and can be predicted by) how its characteristics are perceived in terms of relative advantage, compatibility, complexity, trialability, and observability. The diffusion effect is the increasing, cumulative pressure from interpersonal networks to adopt (or reject) an innovation. Overadoption is an innovation's adoption when experts suggest its rejection. Diffusion networks convey innovation-evaluation information to decrease uncertainty about an idea's use. The heart of the diffusion process is the modeling and imitation by potential adopters of their network partners who have adopted already. Change agents influence innovation decisions in a direction deemed desirable. Opinion leadership is the degree individuals influence others' attitudes

No comments:

Post a Comment