Sunday, June 18, 2006

Graduate School???

Thank You Jesus Christ for Creating The Way of Your Word!

The Dr.Patel Center for Global Solutions will undertake and support research and education that improve and sustain the quality of human life worldwide.

The mission of the Center is to develop a body of knowledge that is used to promote sustainable economic development and reduce poverty, improve the quality of the natural environment, human health and security, and foster an understanding of the diversity of cultures and the arts. This mission is accomplished through:

  • nonpartisan, independent applied research that leads to the discovery, dissemination, and application of new knowledge about the sources of and solutions to problems of global concern;
  • the development of educational programs at all levels for the purpose of training future leaders of institutions with a global presence;
  • expanding awareness of global concerns by hosting conferences, forums, workshops, symposia, and speakers; and
  • engaging policy makers and other partners and translating research into policy.

What are you trying now?
I guess I've been reading Rebecca's Sustainability book. And realize there is more and more there for me to explore. I mean Sustainability means "meeting the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs."

What about STARS?
I guess the concept of "projects for credit" is that this is more than just a sustainable activity. Students and teachers are customarily considered a drain on society, an expense; worthwhile, but still a cost or a finge benefit to explore after the basics of housing, food and water. However, with STARS where Students Take an Active Role in Society => the student becomes a community service or a producer that adds to the community. Not slave labor for some profit business, but active community participants working with existing government staff to facilitate better operations, increase community involvement and public education.

This itself creates more sustainability since the best students are usually the teachers and leaders. So instead of the typical education that forces kids into a consumption box for big business, with no insight or substance. Students learn to create and lead, by becoming community sustainers from the start. And when operating in truth for public benefit, they lead others students to produce and develop better services and community resources.

So not only does the STARS system create a sustainable school, but it develops people and society in service and concern for each other. The community can become more independent and self-sufficient with the new cooperation and dedication of the students working with their local schools and teachers to improve their own community. Students operating with teacher and business support can help to streamline governmental services. Useless bureaucrats can be replaced with productive citizens dedicated to service not just exploitation.

What are you doing?
I started this a few nights ago because I needed to get clear on my research conceptions before my meeting Monday. Then it was rescheduled to Wednesday. I was worried about having lunch with Barbara Wednesday, but she has called and cancelled that. So I only need to get ready for Med school meeting now.

Of course last night Beverly in John's class started talking with me about her PhD plans, wanting to do sustainability too. We've talked a hundred times at least, but I never knew she was doing this too. She gave me a lot to think about saying some things that John had said to me before. And I realized she was right about making it an accredited degree . . . or making it something from the business college that will make it more recognized by my peers and simplify whatever I do next.

I never worry about what's next because if I could really get this started, I know it will never be done anyway. But I guess I need to be realistic about a degree with a specific goal and deadline.


What have you done since then?
I guess John was thrilled I was more focused on business, and told me anyone could get a sustainable PhD now with him or Dr. Nord. Then I asked him about getting Dr. Nord on my PhD Committee and he said it would really depend on how I focused it. Of Course, Bev's Dad teaches at USF too, with a PhD in public administration. Which makes me wonder about it more . . . I've thought I should include something about running a Public service.

So after John and Bev peaked my interest, I started searching through the Graduate school for all the data about what degrees are there already and what I could do. So I found the Anthropology - Public Health dual major. So if I add in the MSM then I can explore leading these things . . .

What you need to do is lead change.
I know the applied research side of things, defining how things get put together and how to make them work.

What are you struggling with then?
I guess I'm just not sure how to do any of this. When I think about classwork that I need to do still I could add hundreds of classes. But then when I think about what I do or need to do I see or think something totally different.

What have you seen or felt about making this happen. You talk about the applied sustainability stuff at Patel what have you visioned there?
I guess I saw how they are building a new center near the Patel Charter School and how these schools could all be linked with the transit system.

What would be the point of that?
I know that sustainability is about making things work. People and students learning in gardens and running services. Building the whole system there would be possible with the schools and students. They start with a way to move and clear the water. Then link it to ponds and gardens so the buildings are all supporting the Florida ecology. And suddenly the schools are all growing their own organics and learning about sustainability by DOING IT!

Students starting with simple gardens and fish ponds where they learn about the natural cycles by keeping them running. Then as they get older the children could develop their own projects and applications to improve the systems. Everything dynamic and transparent instead of controlled by arrogance and greed.

I Love You Dearest Loving Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment